Due to their long hair, Yorkshire Terriers are extremely prone to tangles. And if your pooch has floor-length hair, you’ll lose your sanity trying to work the knots out. This will not be the case if you’re armed with the best detangler for Yorkies. This spray is formulated to loosen the most stubborn knots and tugs on a dog’s coat. It will save you from the mind-racking task of combing through tangled dog fur.
Here, I reviewed three of the tried-and-tested detangler sprays I used on my Yorkies. It will help you manage the pooch’s long fur without spending hours grooming.
|Check price on AmazonCheck Price on Chewy|
|Check price on AmazonCheck Price on Chewy|
|Check price on Amazon|
|Check price on AmazonCheck Price on Chewy|
|Check price on AmazonCheck Price on Chewy|
Why do Yorkies get mats and knots?
Any dog with long fur will be prone to mats and tangles. This happens when the fur gets clumped or entwined. Over time, the ruffled fur will tighten and stick together, resulting in problematic knots.
Most of the time, Yorkies develop tangles on its neck where the collar sits. Prolonged wearing of harnesses can also cause massive tangles. Going out on a windy day and forgetting to brush its coat will also result in nasty snags.
Take note that dogs that are fully bathed can still develop tangles if not brushed properly. The moisture will cause the hair strands to stick together and curl. When it dries that way, you’ll face a bad case of knots. It’s a hassle for you and painful for your dog.
The good news is that this tangled fur has a very simple solution: a detangler spray. Below, I reviewed three options you can use for your Yorkie.
Best Detangler For Yorkies – My 3 Proven Picks
OUR #1 CHOICE
OUR TOP PICK: BioSilk Therapy Detangling Spray For Dogs
My top choice for the best dog detangler for Yorkies is the BioSilk Therapy Detangling Spray For Dogs. This is formulated with aloe vera, soy protein, oat extracts, jojoba oil, and other natural ingredients. So while untangling your Yorkie’s fur, it also moisturizes and conditions the coat. It’s hitting two birds with one stone when using this spray.
- BEST DETANGLER FOR YORKIES — High-quality ingredients minimize the stress of dog brushing by reducing pulling of matted areas and leave your dog's fur shiny, soft, and smelling fresh
- MADE IN THE USA — Made in the USA with the same classic ingredients as the original BioSilk line
- SIMPLE TO USE — Great for after a bath and in between baths to keep your dog's fur smooth and free of matts
- FOR ALL DOGS — This product is suitable for all dogs and puppies 8 weeks of age and older
- No parabens and pH balanced for dogs, OK for use with topical flea and tick items
- 8 OZ 1 Pack
Aside from that, this formula is pH balanced and safe to use alongside flea and tick treatments. It’s also silk-infused to help keep your Yorkie’s coat lustrous. Above all, this is safe to use on puppies as young as 8 weeks old.
The BioSilk Therapy Detangling Spray is free from parabens and sulfates. You can use this even on the most sensitive dog. It is the best detangler for dogs. It helps reduce fur pulling, matting, and tangling while leaving a smell fresh. This is the best dog detangler spray.
From ears to tail, this detangling spray will retain your pet’s beautiful coat.
Since it’s made as a detangler, don’t expect this formula to give you Yorkie’s coat a lot of shine. Other than that, this is very effective in fixing tangles. You’ll also receive two bottles for this price range, which is already a steal.
- PROFESSIONAL FORMULA: Used by our own grooming salons in Dallas, Texas & partnered salons across USA.
- STRICTLY ORGANIC: Our scientists only source from reputable, certified organic suppliers to make sure we do right by all animals. Organic Coconut, Sunflower Seed, Argan Oil & Aloe Vera to name a few. pH balanced & sensitive skin safe
- 100% NATURAL: Our philosophy is to ONLY use human-grade natural materials to reduce & prevents mat, knot and dander in pet hair & fur. You will notice a mild, long-lasting fragrance. Leave your pet looking, feeling & smelling amazing
- MAKE COAT HEALTHY AGAIN: Anti-static, soothes dry skin, softens and restores cat coat’s shine, making it perfect for quick and easy puppy brush care. Works great as a daily shampoo & conditioner substitute too!
- MADE IN THE USA: Keep your furry friend looking and feeling their best with our collection of dog grooming supplies proudly made in Florida, USA.
Another option I recommend is the Kibble Pet Miracle Dematter Spray. It boasts organic ingredients like sunflower seed oil, argan oil, coconut oil, and aloe vera. All of these are excellent in loosening tight knots on your Yorkie’s fur. But, most of all, these botanicals are natural moisturizers that will restore the plump and fluff of your dog’s coat.
Aside from that, this is a hypoallergenic formula suitable for all dog breeds and coat types. It will help reduce itchiness without using harmful parabens, SLS, petroleum, and harsh soaps. This is a human-grade product guaranteed to be safe for the most sensitive Yorkies.
Moreover, the Kibble Pet Miracle Detangling Spray is pH-balanced based on canine skin. It’s also a cruelty-free formula, which is something many pet owners consider paramount.
I also like that this dematter spray is also made to neutralize malodors. So even if your Yorkie is yet to have a bath, this spray will help prevent the formation of unpleasant smells.
The only thing I noticed is that it takes a large amount to fully demat a dog. For this price range, it’s a bit of a splurge. But considering its all-natural blend, every dollar is worth it.
- Dog Conditioner Specially Formulated to Remove Matts and Tangles from Dog Coat - Works like magic to make the toughest of knots manageable and slicker to brush. Applies as a spray but penetrates the coat like a premium dog lotion.
- Easy To Apply - Ideal to apply after bath or shampoo, but can be applied to a damp coat. Spray onto clean damp coat and let sit for a minute. Gently pull matted areas with any dog brush, pet comb, or pet grooming glove. Continue to brush through, and rinse only if desired.
- Professionally Formulated By Dog Groomers - This is the right stuff to add to your dog grooming kit as it compliments most dog grooming supplies. Use with common dematting tools for dogs coat including specialty accessories like dog brushes for shedding, dog clippers for thick coats, or specialty grooming shaver, shears, scissors, or trimmer.
- Sweet Yet Subtle Vanilla Scent - This pet conditioner smells great! It functions as a dog spray deodorizer. Acts as a deodorant even on the smelliest of pets. Your K9 buddy will be a bundle of furry freshness after the next bath!
- Natural Hypoallergenic Formula using Aloe Vera, Jojoba Oil, and Mineral Oil - Free from Detergents, Alcohol, and Parabens - Puppy Safe - Made in USA
My last pick is the Warren London Dog Dematting & Detangler Spray. It works wonders on detangling and fixing mats on any dog breed coat. It’s specifically helpful for Yorkies and other canines with non-shedding fur that gets knotted easily.
Moreover, this detangling spray has aloe vera, jojoba oil, vanilla bean, and mineral oil. It penetrates the dog’s coat to unravel the most stubborn tangles. This acts as a lotion but without stickiness and greasiness. It’s a great hair detangler for dogs.
I personally like the subtle vanilla scent that keeps Yorkies smelling fresh. It’s not overpowering, and it will even neutralize a bad smell.
You’ll have peace of mind because this is free from parabens, alcohol, and harsh chemicals. This is also pH-balanced to remain gentle on the dog’s skin.
Take note that this is a detangler only and won’t clean your Yorkie’s coat. Nevertheless, it still conditions and soothes dry skin.
My only tip is to spray this on your palms then massage it to your dog. This isn’t a spray mist, so each spray is concentrated on a single spot. The formula is also a bit thick, which requires a little rubbing to work.
How to choose the best detangler for Yorkies
If you’re not familiar with detangler products, the following points will help you pick the best one:
The very first thing you should check is the ingredients of the detangler spray you’re going to get. As much as possible, get a detangler spray made of natural ingredients. Natural oils like jojoba, coconut, and argan are proven to be effective detanglers while nourishing your Yorkie’s coat. Aside from that, aloe vera and silk are great additions as well.
You should avoid synthetic chemicals like parabens, phthalates, and formaldehyde, as these will compromise your dog’s safety.
The odor of the detangler is a big factor since canines have a strong sense of smell. Always choose mild and natural odors over overpowering perfumes. Besides, your dog doesn’t really need to smell like a bed of roses. A mild whiff would do to please your nose and to neutralize malodors.
Just remember that detangler sprays aren’t meant to be used as shampoo. While some formulas can clean, it’s not the product’s main purpose.
The finish of the detangler refers to how it will make the coat look once it dries. I always recommend a non-greasy and non-oily finish to prevent weighing down your dog’s fur. A sticky finish will just make more tangles in the long run.
Detangler sprays are either runny or thick. Runny formulas can be sprayed as a mist for easier application. Meanwhile, thick detangler sprays require you to massage a dollop into your Yorkie’s coat to untangle and demat.
Another thing you should check is the container used for the detangler. Make sure that the spray is working well and that the bottle doesn’t leak. This is just a small detail, but it will make a big difference in the convenience of applying the formula.
Lastly, you should check the value for money of the detangler formula you’re going to buy. Investing in a natural and gentle formula is always the best move, even if it will cost you a few more bucks.
Tips to remove tangles from your Yorkie’s coat
Removing tangles from your Yorkie’s coat will put your patience to the test. Instead of losing your sanity, you can do the following tips:
- Don’t pull! Pulling the snag will just make it worse. Your dog will also be hurt and will dread the next time you touch its coat. Instead, spray the detangler formula and fiddle the tangle with your fingers. This will help loosen up the knot so that you can unravel it slowly.
- Keep your dog calm. You can’t fix tangled fur if your Yorkie will keep escaping and running from you. It’s important to keep the pooch calm so that you can work on the snags properly.
- Isolate the tangle. Before you try to remove the tangle, you should isolate it from the rest of your dog’s coat. This will prevent more hair from getting entwined to the knot.
- Use a dematting comb. A dematting comb is an excellent pair with a detangler spray. It will help break the hair strands apart without breaking or pulling them too much.
- Use rewards. If your Yorkie isn’t cooperating, you can use food rewards to make the experience positive. However, avoid over-indulging your canine as treats can easily add up to their caloric intake.
- Detangle regularly. Yorkshire Terriers have flowy and long hair. It can sustain tangles easily, so you should practice brushing and detangling regularly. A five-minute brushing session each day will help a lot in keeping snags at bay.
- Brush along the grain. When brushing and detangling your dog’s fur, you should always do so along the direction where the fur grows. This will prevent you from pulling the hair and causing more tangles in the long run.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Can I use a human detangler spray on my dog?
A: Human-grade detangler sprays will work in loosening knots on your dog’s fur. However, the formula may cause skin irritations since canines have a different pH level than humans. It’s still best to purchase a detangler spray made for pets to ensure that your Yorkie will be safe.
Q: Why is my Yorkie’s hair matting?
A: Matting in dogs happens when its hair isn’t groomed well. And since Yorkies don’t shed, their hair will continue to grow, which will make it prone to matting and tangles. This is highly preventable with the use of the right detangling spray and dematting tool.
Q: Should you cut mats out of dog hair?
A: Cutting your dog’s mats isn’t the only solution to the problem. Before you reach for the scissors, you should use a detangler spray first. This should loosen the knots as you fiddle them with your finger. You should apply the detangler spray lavishly to fix the most stubborn tangles on your dog’s coat.
Q: Can I use coconut oil to detangle my dog’s hair?
A: Coconut oil is a great alternative if you need to fix tangles on your dog’s fur. Just make sure that the coconut oil isn’t hot, as it will scald your pet’s skin. Also, be modest with the amount as coconut oil is greasy and will weigh down your dog’s hair. When that happens, more dirt will cling to the strands and will cause further matting.
Q: What do you do for a severely matted dog?
A: If your Yorkie is severely matted, the best thing to do is clip its fur short. You can take the pooch to a groomer for professional removal of the mats. The longer your dog’s hair is, the tighter the mats will be.
Q: How do you make a homemade dog detangler spray?
A: If you don’t have a detangler spray handy, you can make one at home. Simply mix two tablespoons of your dog’s leave-in conditioner with warm water. Shake this and make sure that the conditioner is mixed well before use. The slick characteristic of conditioners will help loosen tangled hair.
- RESTORES MOISTURE — Silk and enriching vitamins work together to help restore moisture to your dog's coat. Before you know it, your pup will have the beautiful, silky-smooth coat you've both been dreaming of
- EASY TO USE — Made with the same classic ingredients as the original BioSilk line for humans, this dematting spray for dogs sprays right onto your dog's coat, working through knots and tangles easily and effectively
- WITH ORGANIC COCONUT OIL — Nourishing coconut oil moisturizes skin, hydrates fur, and leaves behind a silky smooth coat that everyone can enjoy. Both dogs and owners will love the feeling and light scent left behind by BioSilk for pets
- MADE IN THE USA — Proudly made in the USA, this dog leave in conditioner spray includes high quality ingredients for an organic dog hair detangler spray you can trust, bringing you a dog grooming spray everyone will love
- 100% SAFE — No parabens or sulfates, and pH balanced for dogs, this coconut detangling spray for dogs is safe for you to use on your dog regularly
The best dog detangler for Yorkies will save you from endless snags and knots that just won’t go away. It also helps reduce bad smells while conditioning your pet’s skin. Just make sure that it has safe ingredients and botanicals that will detangle without harmful chemicals.
What do you think of these detangler sprays? Have you used any of these before on your dog? Share your thoughts below!